This course prepares you to succeed in any college-level course or professional field through writing. You will learn how to express your ideas clearly in an academic format.
It takes around 6 months to complete if you are studying for 4 hours/week. But the schedule is flexible. You can suit the time learning to your needs.
See the schedule and details here
What You Will Learn
- Grammar and Punctuation
This course needs ten hours to accomplish in which students can learn grammar and punctuation for sharpening your writing skill.
- determine the right verb tenses to use
- use punctuation properly
- use various types of sentences
- write English effectively.
- Getting Started With Essay Writing
This is the next writing specialization that students have to master by knowing three kinds of academic essays.
The ability that participants can get after accomplishing the course includes:
- Create essays and thesis effectively
- Writing essays that include argument, compare/contrast, cause/effect.
- Write well-structured paragraphs.
- Advanced Writing
Students learn college-level assignments. Participants are able to:
- the argumentative essay as they can identify whether their work contains plagiarism or not
- create an opinion after reading several articles
- create connections between articles
- create thesis statements based on their readings
- apply sources properly when composing an essay.
- Introduction to Research for Essay Writing
As the last course in this specialization, Participants can create a research paper prior to the capstone project as they can master: – choose the right topics based on researches – writing detailed outlines for the paper – find quality material for the paper – create research by using good notes for research – use proper academic tone and language – composing a Works Cited list in MLA format – create non-plagiarism work
- Project: Writing A Research Paper
This is the time when students create academic writing by implementing all subjects that they have learned about English academic writing.
This capstone project allows participants to:
- create research for an academic topic of their choice
- plan an essay by composing an outline
- write an annotated bibliography for evaluating their sources
- compose research papers with up to 8 pages
- apply the correct source material with MLA format
About The University of California, Irvine
University of California, Irvine was founded in 1965. It is ranked 8th Public University in the U.S by U.S News & World Report. In 2019, Money magazine ranked UCI the #1 best college in the nation. Its English graduate program was also ranked 17th in the most current U.S. News & World Report.
Graduating from Texas Tech University with a master’s degree in English, she’s been teaching ESL to all levels for two decades now after getting an ESL teaching certificate from this university. But, her experience in teaching also covers high school and college throughout the United States. Once she was also teaching English in China for the Peace Corps.
Holding two master’s degrees in TESOL and in Philosophy from Biola University, she is now a full-time teacher at UCI with International Programs. She is also experienced teaching online and on-ground ESL, thanks to her broad experience in organizing professional conferences, as well as working and presenting at conferences.
He is teaching twenty courses now with almost one million learners whom he has taught during his teaching experience.
50% enjoyed their new careers after finishing this class.
20% managed to get promotions to a higher level and get a pay increase.
No entry requirement. Anyone can join.
However, you should be comfortable reading and writing English at an intermediate (high school) level.
This course is designed to prepare high school graduates for writing and research at the college level.
Students who have not been exposed to rigorous English courses in high school, students whose native language is not English, and others interested in refining their written English communication skills are all welcome.